There are so many differences between the British and American curriculum, and even the everyday vocabulary used. I'm able to laugh at myself, so that when the people here laugh, it's "with" me and not "at" me!
Here are some of the dozens of things I'm keeping in mind as I converse with people and teach.
Trousers=Pants
Prep=Homework
Register=Attendance/Role
Half 3=3:30
30 March=March 30th
Standard Six=5th Grade
The lou=Bathroom
Lift=Elevator
Uni=University/College
Computer Suite=Computer Lab
Home/Flat=Dorm
Original Home=Home
Bonnet/Boot=Front/Back of a car
Morning Play=Recess
Religious Education=Bible Class
Maths=Math
(Bobblehead movement)=Yes
Tamil=Local Language
Holiday=Break/Vacation
Lovely=Cool
Speech marks=Quotation Marks
Full Stop=Period (This one is hard to remember to say!)
Learning Intention=Teaching Standard/Learning Goal
Rubbish Bin=Trash Can